Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Introduction

Hello, my name is Alex Barstow and I am a sophomore and Sociology/Viola Performance major in the Tufts/New England Conservatory dual-degree program. Having started on the violin, I have been studying music since I was six years old. However, after ten years of violin I decided to switch to viola, which I have now been playing for three years. Despite my background in classical music, my musical tastes encompass a broad spectrum of genres, ranging from classical music and jazz to more "poppy" genres such as electronic and club music, rap and hip-hop, 70's rock, reggae, and more. More recently, I have been experimenting with the concepts of "remixing" and "mash ups," using DJing as a medium through which to open audiences eyes to many different types of music. A DJ is a unique, and I believe very important beacon in the development of modern music in that it is now customary to heavily utilize previously produced material in the production of new material, a process generally referred to as "sampling." A DJ will take, for example, a specific drum beat from one song, a collection of short vocal clips from another, and a synthesized melody from another, and weave them into what is essentially a complex "musical collage." As a classical musician this is especially exciting, as it allows me to incorporate aspects of classical music (a dying genre) into a more widely-accepted genre, injecting pieces of old-culture into pop-culture where a wider (and younger) audience can appreciate it. I believe this is one of the many ways artists can bring about a revival of classical music.
Having studied Western music all my life, I felt it was about time I broadened my horizons and studied music from an Eastern perspective. I'm excited for an interesting semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment